<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.alicialaceyblog.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Alicia Lacey Photography: First Looks | Bridal Business

Thursday, September 25, 2014

First Looks | Bridal Business

Let me start this post with a disclaimer: I think first looks are awesome -- Rob and I did one on our wedding day and I have never regretted it. It is still one of my favorite moments from our wedding day and I love looking at the pictures and remembering what we talked about during that private few minutes of an otherwise crazy day. 

That being said, I am the first to recognize they aren't for every couple. First looks are something I talk about at every initial meeting with clients; I want to be sure that I am planting the seed early enough that they have time to think things over and make an informed decision. The last thing I would want would be for someone to decide at the last minute, based off my recommendation, and then regret it!! 

Which also leads me to my next disclaimer: while I always bring it up, I never, ever try to sell it, per se. I simply lay out the information to educate my couple so they can discuss what is best for them. If they decide against it, it truly doesn't make a difference to me either way -- I just want to make sure you have the best wedding day possible! 

While I know this may have all been said before, let me explain some reasons why I think first looks are beneficial on your wedding day.


Enjoy a private, intimate moment with your groom.
Wedding days are, in a word, insane. You go from hair and makeup, to putting on your dress, to the ceremony, family pictures, and then the reception. It barely leaves time to breathe, let alone time a moment to kiss, laugh, and squeeze the hand of your groom to tell him how excited you are for this day. A first look is designed to do that -- as the photographers, we will be the only people in the general vicinity as we choose a private location at your venue. Even then, we stand far back and pop on a zoom lens so that you can have time to kiss, laugh, squeeze hands, and tell each other how excited you are for this day. It may literally be the only alone time you get on this day. 

Bonus:  I think Abby Grace said it so eloquently: "People who want to wait for the ceremony to see each other are more looking forward to the reaction than the tradition itself. In my humble opinion though, the most thorough way to capture that precious reaction is by setting aside time for portraits beforehand. In my experience? It doesn’t change it one bit. It’s still JUST as big of a deal! Guys, your bride is still taking that walk down the aisle to marry YOU! Seeing each other beforehand doesn’t make that walk any less of a big deal. Ladies, your groom is still going to get that ear-to-ear smile when he sees you on the arm of your dad. It’s just as big of a moment, just with a little less anxiety."



Eliminate your nerves. 
Bride and grooms alike are nearly always nervous before the elusive "walk down the aisle". It is such a big moment with so much build up; you're excited, anxious, and scared all at the same. A first look is great way to help eliminate some of those emotions and relax a bit before it happens. It actually allows you to focus on connecting with your groom as you walk down the aisle instead of being caught up in the grandeur of the moment. 

Allow for more pictures and more time with your guests!
 One of my favorite reasons for doing a first look (as a self proclaimed type A personality) is how much more smoothly it can help your day run. After your first look, we will take some time to get couples pictures of you and your groom. Once those are complete, we will find your family and wedding party and do those images as well -- meaning that after your ceremony, you will actually get to enjoy your cocktail hour! It also means that you can add as much time to your timeline pre-ceremony as you'd like for portraits -- no feeling rushed by the time constraints of cocktail hour.

Bonus: Depending on the time of your ceremony, sometimes a first look may be the only time you have to get couples portraits! Late ceremonies (especially in fall/winter) can mean that your ceremony ends after sunset when we don't have any natural light to work with.



Have perfect hair & makeup.
Less of a touchy, feel-y reason for doing a first look is that your hair and makeup is perfect! You've just gotten it finished and the next thing you do is your first look, so it is literally the freshest it will be all day. My wedding day was 90 degrees... in MAY! I don't know about you, but I am not one of those people that "glows" -- I sweat! It's not cute. Also, I cried like a baby during my ceremony so much that even the best waterproof makeup didn't stand a chance. 



I would absolutely never try to push a couple that isn't interested towards doing a first look. If you are not interested in doing a first look but are worried about portrait time on your wedding day, I would highly recommend considering a "day-after" session to ensure you get all those images you've dreamed of!



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home